Fiction Writing and Other Oddities

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Writing Extravaganza

I am so totally jazzed--I just got the cover for my latest historical romantic mystery: The Bricklayer's Helper. It is absolutely gorgeous. There is nothing like seeing that cover to really believe you have a book coming out.

That and the edits. Just finished the first round of edits and as usual, I'm torn between thinking it will never be good enough and marveling at the fact that I actually managed to write a coherant story. More or less.

And I just love The Bricklayer's Helper. The heroine, Sarah Sanderson, drives my poor hero, William Trencharc absolutely crazy. She is completely irrepressible. As a child, Sarah lost her family in a terrible tragedy and has been masquerading as a man working as a bricklayer's helper. But the murderer responsible for the death of her family has discovered her identity and it's up to William to keep her alive, solve the mystery, and keep his sanity.

And as fate would have it, I also just got the first edits for Vampire Protector, my first paranormal. And I've got a second paranormal I'm desperately trying to get into shape to submit to my editor.


Then, like an idiot, I signed up to do National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo. Insane, I know. But I'll be trying to write 50,000 words during November on my latest novel: Deadliest Rose. It's intended to be a historical suspense, assuming I ever get the darn thing written. A murderer taunts an inquiry agent, Charles Vance, by sending him a rose. If the Vance can identify the rose, he'll have enough information to save the next victim. Unfortunately, this task is harder than it seems and grows even more complex and dangerous when he seeks the assistance of noted rosarian, Ariadne Wellfleet.

I'm really excited about the story as it forms another link in a chain of stories revolving around Second Sons, a London-based inquiry agency. I've written several mysteries featuring its agents, including The Bricklayer's Helper, and I hope to expand it.

Anyway, that's about it for now. I've got to get back to work. My mind is running about a million miles a minute with all the tasks ahead of me, not to mention my real job in the computer industry. Oh, yeah. I do need to get back to that as I have the slightly overwhelming task of upgrading 580 domain controllers from Windows 2003 R2 to Windows 2008 R2, Server Core. And another 'Oh, yeah,' there is no upgrade path. It's a bare metal install. Like...can I make this any more difficult?

So hope you are all enjoying the cooler fall weather, gorgeous autumn leaves, and looking forward to the holidays!
Amy

No comments: