Fiction Writing and Other Oddities

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Month of Judgment

It's here!

Month of Judgment  is available as a pre-release on Amazon Kindle for the low price of $0.99. It will go up to $3.99 when it is released on Sep 25, 2014, so be sure to take advantage of the lower price if you're interested.

This is a bit of a departure for me since it is a paranormal suspense/horror, but sometimes you're just compelled to write a particular book. It's not one of those blood-and-gore dripping all over the place so it might best be described as a paranormal suspense.

Blurb
The swamp seems peaceful until two women encounter an ancient mystery and discover they are not entirely alone...


As the Carolina swamp heat cools with the approach of autumn, an ancient evil stirs among the cypress. Drifting through the shadows cast by the twisted trees, it awaits the feckless and unwary. Those who elect to ignore the legends do so at their peril and are rarely seen--alive--again. 

Unaware of the mystery surrounding the swamp, Emily Anderson is desperate for a change. A tragic series of events has left her alone and aching with sorrow over the deaths of her husband, son, and daughter-in-law. Her home no longer feels like the refuge it once was, and the fleeting shadows and ghosts of the family she lost darken the empty rooms and haunt her sleep. When a friend suggests a camping trip, Emily jumps at the chance to get away for a few days and relax. 

Unfortunately, neither woman realizes that November is the wrong time to enter the swamp. Something awaits them, a power beyond imagination that haunts the woods, and unless they can unravel the mystery and escape, they may become just two more names on the list of the missing.

Excerpt

A flicker in my peripheral vision made me straighten, my pulse quickening. A smile stretched my mouth after a heart-stopping, sudden pulse of joy. I rubbed my arms again, skin prickling from a frigid blast of air. My heart raced with anticipation like it had when I raced down the stairs on Christmas morning.

“Alicia?” I bent forward to get to my feet. “Alicia?” My thoughts stuttered and stalled.

I stared into the hallway, wilting. The flash of white had only been a random gleam of light, not a glimpse of Alicia walking by, wearing her favorite white jeans. I rubbed warmth back into my bare arms.

Alicia was dead, too. How could I forget?

We’d never bonded, never really gotten along, but her loss made the house emptier and cold. If nothing else, I missed her lazy sarcasm and the clacking sound of her leather-soled shoes on our wooden floor.

Only fools work and my momma didn’t raise no fool. I could still hear her voice.

I rubbed my palm over my forearm, trying to wipe away my goose bumps as I sagged onto the sofa. My eyes burned from crying and lack of sleep. The enervating weight of apathy pressed closer, and I struggled to push away the too-familiar sensation. I didn’t want to waste another day, staring at nothing, waiting for nothing. I took a deep breath and stood up.

Wood creaked directly overhead, the sound coming from the baby’s room.


I paused and tilted my head, listening. Nothing but silence. I rubbed my tired eyes. The noise had been normal, just one of the regular sounds the house made as it settled under the late fall sunshine.

Or had it been something different?

-----
Thanks and I hope you enjoyed the brief teaser. Have a great week!

No comments: