Fiction Writing and Other Oddities

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

May Favorite Line Contest

Feel like entering a contest? It's not hard, so come on, give it a try. To celebrate the publication of my new Regency romantic mystery, I BID ONE AMERICAN, I'm sponsoring a contest. All you have to do is send an e-mail to: contest@amycorwin.com containing your favorite line from one of my books. That's it. The contest ends May 31, 2008, so start thinking about it.

The winner will be picked randomly from all the entries received. Actually, the grand prize winner and a runner-up. The prizes will be nice, useful things like coffee mugs, tee-shirts, and the like. Sadly, due to the high costs of shipping things out of the country, I'm offering different prizes for folks outside the U.S.A. If you enter and win, but live outside the U.S.A. you can have your choice of being mentioned in the dedication of my next book, or having your name given to one of the major characters in my next book! You could be famous!

And if it turns out that you live in the U.S.A. but would prefer to have your name used for one of my characters—no problem. Happy to oblige.

So…good luck!

Phew, this promotional stuff is killer, and I'm really lousy at it. I'd much rather sit in a cave, write all day, and watch the bats.

Oh, and here's a little something to brighten your day. I've uploaded a video to YouTube of our dog, Molly, and a garden hose. All I can say is: I'm really hoping scientists prove that insanity is hereditary and not environmental because of what this says about us if it is nurture versus nature. I've always been a big fan of the genetic basis for behavior, anyway, even before we noticed Miss Molly's sudden bursts of complete insanity.

On the bright side, her mental imbalance seems relatively harmless except when she's trying to be helpful, picks up the nozzle of the hose and points it at me. When I try to escape, she thinks it's great fun to chase me, trying to offer me the hose so I will squirt her—all the while she is spraying me with the icy water. I don't think she realizes that humans don't have that nice hide covered with curly hair she has.

Writing-wise, I'm torn between finishing a Regency novella and redoing the first few chapters of Love, the Critic. Truth be told, I'd prefer to work on Love, the Critic and maybe that's what is stalling me on the novella. The novella has a deadline, though, and Love doesn't. These are the times that try writers' souls. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

That's it. I have to get back to work. I'm going to work on Love, the Critic, just because I feel like it. At least I'll be writing something.

Have a great week!

Amy

No comments: