Fiction Writing and Other Oddities

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Make Me Buy Your Book

Make Me Buy Your Book



Starting Jan 20, 2011, I’ll be posting a blog challenging ebook authors to make me buy your book. I’ll post a general description for the kind of books I’m looking for, and you can comment with 500 words or less of information about your book, geared toward making me (and other readers) buy it.


It’s a free form of advertising for you, the author. More importantly, I’m hoping it will let me find the kinds of books I love to read and which are sometimes difficult to locate. Oddly enough, I’ve noticed that the stories I like best are those by new authors or at least authors who are not the ones who pop up on bestseller lists or suggested lists from Amazon. So finding them can be a challenge.


I’m also hoping that other readers who hanker for the same kinds of books will find this to be a valuable resource, as well, if for no other reason than to browse through what I’m sure will be interesting blurbs and descriptions.


The blogs will run on the 20th of every month, and I’ll publish a schedule so you know what’s coming up. If you really think you’re special and want me to include your book cover in the body of that month’s blog as an extra enticement for readers, then you can drop me a line at makeme@amycorwin.com. Please note, however, that I’m really not interested in extremely sensual or erotic material. Besides, there are so many promo opportunities for very spicy books that I feel I can suit my own more conventional tastes in this area.


When I describe the categories in the blogs themselves, I’ll include even more detail on what I like/don’t like to help “shape the comments” and get me to my goal of finding those books I really do want to buy. Keep in mind that this helps other potential readers, as well, because they’ll also be able to determine if these books are their cup-o-tea or material for the compost heap (figuratively speaking since we’re talking strictly ebooks).


As a “heads up,” here is the initial list. Be sure to bookmark this blog so you can participate and add your blurbs, teeny-tiny excerpts, or anything else that floats your boat and you believe will make potential readers buy your ebook.


Jan 20 - Ghosts & shivery horror (No Gore Fests, please)


Feb 20 – Historical Mysteries


March 20 – Contemporary Mysteries


April 20 – Paranormal Mysteries/Suspense


May 20 – Suspense


June 20 – Historicals & Regencies


July 20 – Crime & Crime Noir


Aug 20 – Humor & Satire


Sep 20 – Science Fiction & Fantasy


Oct 20 – Cozy Mysteries


Nov 20 – Chick Lit, Hen Lit & their Red-Headed Step-Children


Dec 20 – Paranormal (Romance, suspense, etc)


That's it! Be thinking about it and prepare your comments. I'll be waiting to hear from you with my Kindle turned on and in my hand!
 
Amy Corwin

No comments: